An occlusal splint is a custom-made dental appliance that is worn as advised by dentist. It helps to protect your teeth and jaw from damage caused by clenching and grinding your teeth (bruxism). Dentist will assess and choose an appropriate type of splint required for you (hard/ hard soft/soft).
Occlusal splints can help to:
• Prevent tooth wear
• Reduce jaw pain
• Improve sleep quality
• Reduce headaches
• Prevent temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
If you are concerned about bruxism, talk to your dentist about getting an occlusal splint.
Here are some additional details about occlusal splints:
• They are made of acrylic/ thermoplastic material that is molded to fit your teeth.
• They can be adjusted to fit your bite and comfort level.
• They are typically worn for several hours each night.
• They can be expensive, but they can be a worthwhile investment to protect your teeth and jaw health.
If you are considering getting an occlusal splint, talk to your dentist about the best type of splint for you.